INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY FOR MORNING CLASS CLOSINGS
(See below for daycare policy)
Hope Montessori School follows the Fairfax County Public School System regarding closing during inclement weather. Please refer to the FCPS website.
If FCPS are closed, our school will be closed and there will be no classes for the day (Hope Montessori will make the ultimate decision regarding delays/closings according to our particular situation).
If FCPS open late or close early, our class schedule will do the same.
1. If there is a late opening, class dismissal times remain unaltered: 11:45 for the morning children and 2:30 for the afternoon (Enrichment & KG) group. ( EXCEPTION: Friday there is 11:45am class dismissal for all the children)
2. If school opens 1 hour late, classes begin at 9:30am (arrival begins at 9:25am) If school opens 2 hours late, classes begin at 10:30am (arrival begins at 10:25am)
3. If FCPS announces an early closing on Friday, we will not alter our dismissal time. On Fridays the dismissal time is 11:45am for all the children & no afternoon classes (Enrichment & KG). In any other case, we follow the FCPS dismissal pattern. In case of questionable weather during the day, please listen to your radio for announcement of a change to FCPS schedule so that you can adjust your child’s pick up time accordingly.
4. Any child not picked up within a reasonable period of time when the school has an early closing, will be considered day care and charged accordingly.
5. If there is a late opening of 9:30am or 10:30am, any child who arrives more than 5 minutes prior to the designated class starting time will be considered day care and charged accordingly.
IN TIMES OF INCLEMENT WEATHER, SAFETY IS OUR UTMOST CONCERN. IF YOU HAVE ANY RESERVATIONS ABOUT ROAD CONDITIONS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO KEEP YOUR CHILD HOME OR PICK HIM/HER UP EARLY RATHER THAN TAKE ANY UNNECESSARY RISKS.
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY FOR DAYCARE CLOSINGS
If Fairfax County Public Schools are closed due to snow / ice /other weather emergency, the Extended Daycare will be closed.
If FCPS close early due to snow / ice emergency, the Extended Daycare will close early. Please pick up your child as soon as possible or arrange for a friend or neighbor to pick up your child.
If FCPS open late due to snow / ice emergency, EXTENDED MORNING DAYCARE WILL ALSO BE DELAYED.
If the snow or ice is extensive or if you have any doubts, please call or email the school for verification of status.
PLEASE listen to your radio or check your television early each morning.
Announcements usually begin around 6:00am and WMAL-AM 630 is a particularly good radio station for early information. Also, the local television stations ( Channels 4,5,7,& 9 ) begin around 6:00am with broadcasts that provide current snow / ice bulletins on a regular basis.
Considering the unpredictable nature of our winter weather and changing road conditions that may alter the school schedule, it is highly advisable that you listen to your radio each morning, in order to make certain that there have been no unexpected changes in the day’s planning. Also it is important to note that Fairfax County is quite large, extending to the Dulles area. When making a decision regarding school closings, the Fairfax County Board of Education must consider the entire area, rather than the road conditions that occur in just the urban areas. Often the roads in a more populated area may appear relatively free of ice and snow, but attempting to negotiate a bus full of children on the same day in an outlying rural area may prove quite hazardous. Therefore, the final decision must reflect the safety of all. Throughout the years, we have found their judgment to be sound, even if it appears to be inconsistent with what you may see outside your window.